The Board of Higher Education and Campus Ministry (BHECM) and Local Boards are charged to continuously evaluate the performance of campus ministries. The charge is summarized as follows:
The Book of Discipline Charge to Annual Conferences
¶ 634. 4. a) (7) To evaluate schools, colleges, universities and campus ministries related to the annual conference, with concern for the quality of their performance, the integrity of their mission, and their response to the mission goals of the general Church and the annual conference.
BHECM Charge to Local Boards:
Local Boards are responsible for establishing local ministry leadership structure, goals and approaches. They shall review their performance quarterly in light of the denominational mission and conference vision for the campus ministry.
Each campus ministry will schedule and conduct an annual Campus Ministry Evaluation Conference with the District Superintendent during the Spring Semester.
BHECM Report Evaluation Recommendations
The following reports relate to the overall effectiveness of a campus ministry. Each report has assessment standards based on exceeding, meeting or not meeting expectations. Corrective action will be taken by local boards for those areas not meeting expectations. The reports and expectations follow:
The Campus Ministry Report (events/attendance) (Due: 12th of each month – Aug-May
- Exceeds Expectations: Continuous growth over a two year period and evidence that the reporting system is being used quarterly to analyze and improve programs and outreach. There is evidence of exceptional growth in all Explore, Engage and Embody events and participation.
- Meets Expectations: Evidence that the reporting system is being used quarterly to analyze and improve programs and outreach. There is evidence of continuous growth in all Explore, Engage and Embody events and participation.
- Does Not Meet Expectations: Reports are not being submitted in a timely manner and the system is not being used to analyze and improve programs and outreach or there is no evidence of growth in the Explore, Engage or Embody events and participation.
Property Reports – Including the Property Management Report, the Worksheet for Property Inspections and the Request for Special Maintenance/Renovation Funding. (Due 1 October)
- Exceeds Expectations: The property inspection is accurate and thorough, there is a 4 year plan for correcting all deficiencies, property use fees cover the cost of maintenance and a preventive maintenance program is in place that will preclude situations causing an emergency or near emergency situation. There is an endowment fund to manage long term property upgrades and maintenance.
- Meets Expectations: The property inspection is accurate, corrective action is scheduled for known deficiencies, there is a 4 year plan for correcting all deficiencies maximizing the use of local funds and a preventive maintenance program in place that will preclude situations emergency or near emergency situations.
- Does Not Meet Expectations: The property inspection is incomplete and corrective actions have not been scheduled for known deficiencies. AND/OR there is not a facilities use program or other means to raise funds for routine local property maintenance.
All Financial Reports (Budgets/Income/Expenses/Audits): (Due Spring Semester – prior to 10 June)
- Exceeds Expectations: All financial reports meet funding policy guidelines, audits indicate strong financial management practices and there is evidence that the campus ministry operations are self-sustaining through a strong annual campaign that creates sufficient reserves for future growth.
- Meets Expectations: All financial reports meet funding policy guidelines, audits indicate sound financial management practices and there is evidence that the campus ministry operations are self-sustaining through a strong annual campaign.
- Does Not Meet Expectations: All financial reports are not submitted on time OR do not meet funding policy guidelines, OR audits indicate corrections are needed in financial management practices and there is evidence that the campus ministry is not self-sustaining.
Personnel Evaluation of the Campus Minister: (Due: June 10th)
- Exceeds Expectations: The overall performance rating is an 8, 9 or 10 on the rating scale
- Meets Expectations: The overall performance rating is a 4, 5, 6 or 7 on the rating scale
- Does Not Meet Expectations: The overall performance rating is a 0, 1, 2, or 3 on the rating scale
Report of Annual Evaluation Conference by District Superintendent. Each Campus Ministry is required to schedule and conduct an annual Campus Ministry Evaluation Conference with the District Superintendent during or immediately following the Spring The following reports are due to the District Superintendent and the BHECM no later than the time of the Ministry Evaluation Conference.
- Local Board Membership Report
- Annual Audit [previous fiscal year]
- A detailed budget campus ministry for the current year
- A detailed income and expense report for the previous year and the current year (year‐to‐ date)
- A summary of any other assets or liabilities not reflected in the budget (endowment funds, loans,)
- Copies of all reports submitted to the BHECM on October 1
- Property management reports.
- Campus Ministry System Reports
The Evaluation Conference Report will be submitted to the BHECM prior to August 1st. The report will be signed by the District Superintendent, the Campus Minister and the Local Board Chair
(Optional) Local Board Evaluation: Use the following survey at the last board meeting of the year to evaluate and plan ways to improve board governance.
(Optional) Campus Ministry Effectiveness Survey: Are you conducting an annual survey of campus students to determine how you could be more effective? The following document includes a “master list” of questions – select 20 for your survey.
(Optional) A GUIDE TO ASSESSING UNITED METHODIST-RELATED COLLEGIATE MINISTRIES
This web guide provides seven qualitative assessment templates that could be used to evaluate your local campus ministry (campus-ministry-assessment_web)